Monday, December 21, 2009

Return and Risk of a Portfolio

A portfolio is a collection of assets.

It is always better to spread one's investment over a group of assets in order to minimize risk. This is called diversification. How does the risk reduce by doing so? The risk reduces because the loss in one asset can be offset by the gain in another.

It is important to keep in mind that risk reduction will happen if the returns from the assets that comprise the portfolio are not positively correlated. For instance, it does not make sense to have a 2 - asset portfolio, where both assets are of the same category and nature. Then, rather than reducing the risk, we would be doubling it.

Also, the risk of a portfolio responds to the weights of individual assets. Therefore, the amount of money invested in each asset is important in reducing risk. Through portfolio optimization techniques (for example, Markowitz's mean  - variance model), one can decide exactly what proportion of the portfolio should be invested in each asset to arrive at minimum risk.

We should not get carried away by the idea of not keeping all our eggs in one basket. If we have too many baskets, it becomes progressively difficult to monitor each one of them. There is always an optimum number of assets that should form a portfolio. More than that will lead to superfluous diversification, meaning that the cost and effort to track the portfolio will be more than the benefit from it.

The following video demonstrates the computation of return and risk for a portfolio of assets:


7 comments:

  1. Hey Great post. Really a very nice piece of information.IPO Procedure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information. Great site. Really enjoyed reading the tips. Keep up the good work. Self Managed Super Funds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get your work done on your rivals and be set up to tell your business holy messenger what isolates your business startup from their set up organization and how you intend to exceed expectations past them. https://www.investorservicesuae.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen some great stuff here. Worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. Your work is truly appreciated around the clock and the globe. buy-now-pay-later-desktop-computers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Everyone, I' m Adrik Vadim living in Kurgan City , I want to share with you all on here on how Mr Pedro help me with a loan of 15,000.000.00 Rubles to start up my food beverage delivery after all I have work in several hotels here in kurgan just to earn a living but unfortunate I was still having difficulties to pay a rent but I thank God now that I'm a self employ now with 5 workers working in my care. Just if you are looking for financial freedom I will advise you to contact Mr Pedro with this email below pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete